If you live in one of the cities that make up Memorial Villages in the western part of Houston and within the jurisdiction of Harris County, chances are you are doing pretty well for yourself and your family. These communities are each small and well-knitted, their schools are exceptional, and their collective wealth is large-ranking and well-above the state's and nation's average in household income. You don't want anything to mess things up for you or your family.
But it can happen – you can lose everything. All it takes is a criminal record. A conviction of a DWI or another crime can lead to serious consequences that go well beyond license suspension, jail, and fines. These consequences can have a serious impact on your life.
Doug Murphy, a respected, well-known DWI and criminal defense attorney, understands these consequences. Doug Murphy knows the Memorial Villages well as he too lives there. That's why he has made it his mission to go above and beyond to defend his clients. In fact, his commitment has led to numerous speaking engagements that take him across Texas and throughout the United States. Board Certified DWI defense lawyer (certified by the National College for DUI Defense Law) and Board Certified criminal law attorney (certified by the Texas Board Legal Specialization), Doug Murphy employs his knowledge, skill, and insight to develop the best defense strategy for each unique case.
Doug Murphy is a veteran DWI & criminal defense attorney based in Houston and represents clients throughout Memorial Villages, including:
- Hunters Creek;
- Piney Point;
- Bunker Hill;
- Spring Valley; and
Doug Murphy knows what's at stake and aims to get your case dismissed before trial or you acquitted at trial. Contact Doug Murphy Law Firm, P.C. today to learn more about his approach and how he – day after day – helps hard-working people like you avoid a criminal conviction.
Overview of DWI & Other Criminal Offenses in the Memorial Villages
In any one of these cities, you won't find much criminal activity. In fact, it's been listed as one of the ten safest cities in all of Texas. Statistics also indicate that this low crime rate will continue to decrease into 2020. For example, according to the most recent data from 2016:
- Memorial Villages violent crimes rate was lower than the national average by 87.7% and the state's by 88.75%; and
- Memorial Villages property crimes rate was lower than the national average by 62.13% and the state's by 66.37%.
Checking the weekly law enforcement reports, you can see that arrests for these types of crimes are isolated events. Few people are arrested and those who are often have been charged with DWI. One of the most frequent police activities in Memorial Villages actually involves traffic stops for traffic violations over any other type of criminal activity. And traffic offenses is a popular method for the police to initiate a DWI investigation.
As for the police, they have been known to be aggressive – like most other units throughout Houston. The Memorial Villages Police Department covers Bunker Hill Village, Piney Point Village, and Hunters Creek. The other villages have their own independent police department.
If arrested for a DWI in Memorial Villages, chances are you will be taken to one of these police stations for booking.
11981 Memorial Drive
Houston, Texas 77024
Phone: (713) 365-3700
1025 Campbell Road
Houston, Texas 77055
9000 Gaylord Street
Hedwig Village, Texas 77024
Hilshire Village Police Department
1025 Campbell Road
Houston, Texas 77055
Hilshire Village is policed by the Spring Valley Police Department.
Consequences of a Criminal Conviction in the Memorial Villages
It's been experienced over and over again: residents of Memorial Villages who have a lot at stake (e.g., a job, child custody, loan applications, etc.) often fear jail and license suspension; they aren't always thinking about collateral consequences because, for one, they may not quite understand the depth of the consequences.
Their first instinct, therefore, is to plead guilty at the arraignment and hope that this strategy awards them with sympathy and a reduced sentence. Others may look for an attorney who promises a plea deal in your favor.
There are a few things to take home here:
- Pleading guilty results in a criminal conviction;
- Settling for a plea deal most often results in a criminal conviction; and
- Criminal convictions mean a criminal record and that means collateral consequences.
For persons with specific professions common among the residents of Memorial Villages, a criminal record with a DWI or another conviction can jeopardize your career. Top professions include:
- Bunker Hill: Management Occupations (380 people), Sales & Related Occupations (208 people), and Business & Financial Operations Occupations (178 people)
- Hedwig: Management Occupations (225 people), Sales & Related Occupations (164 people), and Education, Training, & Library Occupations (94 people)
- Hilshire: Management Occupations (115 people), Sales & Related Occupations (43 people), and Business & Financial Operations Occupations (41 people)
- Hunters Creek: Management Occupations (593 people), Sales & Related Occupations (320 people), and Legal Occupations (223 people)
- Piney Point: Management Occupations (514 people), Health Diagnosing & Treating Practitioners & Other Technical Occupations (205 people), and Legal Occupations (165 people)
- Spring Valley: Management Occupations (472 people), Sales & Related Occupations (281 people), and Business & Financial Operations Occupations (280 people)
As you can see, most of these jobs include management, medical, financial, and legal occupations. Many positions within these same industries require a security clearance or a professional license (e.g., medical license, nursing license, legal license, real estate license, CPA license). You are barred from some positions – especially in the financial industry – if you have specific criminal convictions.
Other problems that follow a conviction like a felony DWI, a violent crime, or a drug crime are things like difficulty with child custody, loss of your voting privileges, loss of your right to own and use a firearm, difficulty obtaining housing, and difficulty securing a loan.
Don't jeopardize your livelihood or your reputation in the community – contact Doug Murphy today.
Contact Doug Murphy Law Firm, P.C.: Smart, Aggressive DWI & Criminal Defense
A criminal charge like a DWI or drug crime is risky for anyone in the professional realm. You need a smart and aggressive defense strategy. Doug Murphy guarantees developing the best defense in your unique situation. Contact his law office today.