Being charged with a crime is a matter of life and liberty. And in a criminal justice system that seems like a tangled web of laws, constitutional rights, and potential punishments, the complexity of what you're up against only multiplies your mental and emotional distress. Good news, it doesn't have to.
Christopher M. McKinney is a former felony Special Crimes Prosecutor in Houston, Harris County, Texas, the third largest county in America. During his 5 1/2 year tenure as a special crimes prosecutor, Chris prosecuted the most serious criminal accusations. Chris understands the seriousness of your situation. His promise to you is this: He will help you understand what you're up against, he will fight for you in your time of need, and he will obtain the best possible results.
Chris approaches every case with the relentless mentality that our clients always come first, that every problem has a solution, and that he will never be out-worked by the government's lawyers.
Personalized Aggressive DWI & Criminal Defense
Chris has handled thousands of cases from DWI and drug possession to intoxication manslaughter and murder as well as most everything in between. Chris understands that being charged with any crime has the potential to affect your life in a big way. That's why he is committed to providing you the most aggressive and honest criminal defense.
When your life is on the line, you deserve the best.
In 2017, Christopher M. McKinney was chosen as the only prosecutor in Harris and Montgomery Counties to receive the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Prosecutor Service Award for his excellence in and out of the courtroom out of hundreds of other prosecutors. Chris takes this same relentless worth ethic, experience and expertise as a prosecutor to criminal defense, to his client's advantage.
Aggressive defense starts with exceptional experience
Chris spent years in the Harris County District Attorney's Office Vehicular Crimes Division, an elite group of prosecutors whose sole responsibility is the investigation and prosecution of DWI offenses resulting in serious bodily injury or death, i.e. intoxication assault or intoxication manslaughter.
Chris was entrusted to train DWI and crash investigators as well as other prosecutors handling these serious cases because of his expertise and experience.
Chris also has extensive experience in all types of criminal cases, including but not limited to:
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI and DUI)
- DWI with a Child Passenger under 15 years old
- Intoxication Manslaughter
- Intoxication Assault
- Hit and Run (Failure to Stop and Render Aid (FSRA))
- Hit and Run (Failure to Stop and Give Information (FSGI))
- Racing Causing Death or Serious Bodily Injury (SBI)
- Criminally Negligent Homicide
- Evading Arrest or Detention
- Drug Possession
- Domestic Violence
- Grand Jury Investigations
As a former serious felony crimes prosecutor, his experience protects your freedom and allows him to be one step ahead of the government in your defense.
Proven success in the courtroom
Sometimes cases cannot be resolved favorably, but that doesn't mean it's time to throw in the towel. Chris McKinney has successfully tried dozens of cases to juries and is not afraid of a fight.
Chris' success comes from being prepared for everything and surprised by nothing.
Protect Your Rights Today
If you or someone you love is facing a criminal charge there isn't any time to waste. An aggressive criminal defense is the most important protection for your life and your liberty.
Harris County District Attorney's Office, Houston, Texas
Assistant District Attorney, August 2012 – April 2018
Vehicular Crimes Division
South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D).
Honors & Advocacy
- National Order of the Scribes – American Society of Legal Writers, April 2012
- South Texas Top 2L Advocate – Hagan, Noll & Boyle Advocacy Award, May 2011
- Finalist, Best Brief Runner Up – Cultural Heritage Law Moot Court Competition, February 2011
- Semi-Finalist, Eighth Best Speaker – T. Gerald Treece Summer Mock Trial Academy, Summer 2010
- Quarterfinalist, Best Brief Runner Up – Cultural Heritage Law Moot Court Competition, February 2012
- Quarterfinalist – Buffalo-Niagara Mock Trial Tournament, November 2010
- Octofinalist, Eleventh Best Brief – Garland-Walker Moot Court Tournament, October 2010
- Octofinalist – Evans Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition, March 2012
- Fifth Best Brief – National Entertainment Law Moot Court Competition, November 2011
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, May 2009
2016 MADD Prosecutor Service Award for Harris and Montgomery Counties, Presented April 27, 2017
Roll-Call Refreshers – Crash Line and Hit and Run, Houston Police Department Vehicular Crimes Division
Blood Basics and Backing it Up in Court, Harris County Sheriff's Office Drug Recognition Expert Recertification
South Texas College of Law Mock Trial Coach:
- Stetson University College of Law, National Pretrial Competition, Fall 2012
- George Mason University, John L. Costello National Criminal Law Trial Advocacy Competition, Spring 2012