Have you recently been arrested on suspicion of DWI in Houston? If so, your personal and professional futures are in serious jeopardy. The consequences are severe. As a minimum, you can lose your driving privileges for a certain period of time, face time behind bars, and pay a hefty fine. At most, you could -- if convicted and therefore end up with a criminal record -- have difficulty finding employment, retaining security clearance or professional licenses, receiving loans, finding housing, among other collateral consequences.
Hiring the best DWI attorney to handle your defense is one of the most important steps you can take. You know this, so you have likely already been doing the legwork: scouring the internet for attorneys. To your dismay, though, there are literally hundreds and thousands of DWI lawyers from which to choose. So how do you choose? How do you find the best DWI lawyer in Houston, Texas, who routinely performs at the level that he or she claims to be able to perform?
Finding a Needle in a Haystack
There are scores of lawyers in Houston and throughout Harris County who hold themselves out as DWI lawyers. They are all waiting for their next DWI client. For the vast majority of them, they claim this and that and produce a trail of "pay for play" accolades on their websites, as though that's testimony to performance. In the end, they convince you to take a plea deal. That means: you still end up with a criminal record.
Doug Murphy knows that -- though a plea deal may mean a reduced sentence -- is not generally the best way to proceed because you will nevertheless endure all the problems that accompany an arrest and criminal record. Doug Murphy knows how to successfully challenge DWI cases. He fights for clients. His experience has taught him a few things, including:
- DWIs are defensible, and
- Juries understand that "intoxication" is a subjective opinion and police tools often cause sober people to be arrested too, but
- It takes real experience, knowledge, and strategy to make good results happen.
So, how do you find a needle in a haystack? How do you find an attorney like Doug Murphy who will truly live up to the meaning of "fight for you" rather than settle? And how do you do that when there are so many lawyers from which to choose?
One way: determine what separates the attorney from all the others and decide if that is a compelling enough reason to hire him or her.
What Separates DWI Attorney Doug Murphy from the Rest
A driving while intoxicated charge can change your life forever. The best way to protect your future is by hiring an attorney who has the experience and insight necessary to win your case. Doug Murphy is a well-known and well-respected DWI defense attorney in Harris County and throughout the United States. His unique and aggressive approach to your defense will help you secure the best possible result in your DWI case.
Doug Murphy has been practicing criminal law and DWI defense in Texas for more than 19 years. In his tenure as an attorney, he has helped hard-working Texans get their lives back after a DWI arrest. Doug has also secured many legitimate certifications, accreditations, and awards. Some of these include:
- Board Certification in DWI Defense by the National College for DUI Defense, accredited by the American Bar Association and recognized by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Board Certification in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Named one of the Best Lawyers in America by Woodward White (2013-2019)
- Named as a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters (2009; 2013-2018), and
- Recipient of the Sharon Levine Unsung Hero Award by the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association
But Doug Murphy is more than this. Doug Murphy approaches DWI cases as a puzzle needing to be solved. And he solves DWI cases that most lawyers can't. Even the complex cases where other lawyers bring him on the case to help out. He takes on challenges with vigor and renewed enthusiasm, and he does it to benefit both his own craving for deepening his practice and his appreciation for his clients, wanting to make sure those who are innocent remain innocent and those who made mistakes get second chances without the burden of a criminal record.
Plus, Doug Murphy has much more going on.
- One of Two Lawyers in Texas. Doug Murphy is only one of two Texas lawyers to hold both Board Certification in both DWI Defense and criminal law simultaneously and to keep doing so each year.
- A Leader in the Law. Doug Murphy doesn't just practice law, he is a leader in the law. Doug Murphy currently serves as the President of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association, the largest local criminal bar in the United States. Doug also serves on the Board of Regents for the National College for DUI Defense, and also a secretary. Doug also serves on the DWI Committee for the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
- Teacher to his Colleagues. Doug Murphy is first and foremost an attorney for DWI defense. But when he isn't fighting for your rights and freedoms, he is teaching other DWI defense lawyers how to strengthen their practices and raise the bar so other lawyers can do the same more effectively. He is well known in the legal community for his expertise in DWI defense and is asked often to speak and lecture to his peers at conferences and other forums on DWI issues. These speaking engagements have taken him to all over all Texas and the United States.
There are very few other lawyers in Texas or in the U.S. even who can claim the same. He is one of a kind DWI attorney.
Questions to Ask When You Find the Best DWI Attorney in Texas
Here are important questions to ask and factors to consider when you set up a time to meet with Texas' best DWI defense attorney in Houston.
1. How much DWI trial experience does the attorney have?
Many attorneys have been practicing DWI defense for years. However, just because they have legal experience under their belt does not mean that they have sufficient DWI experience or -- more importantly --DWI trial experience. Ask your attorney how long he has been practicing and how much trial experience he has. Also, get to know how often the attorney settles cases -- that's important because that indicates he probably doesn't have a care in the world
Doug Murphy prepares each case as though it is going to trial. He does not settle. He takes on challenges. He is known as fearless, aggressive, and smart -- an intimidating combination for the State.
2. Does the attorney have any special certifications or accreditations?
Attorneys who are really dedicated to DWI defense may have special legal certifications. These certifications help to set them apart from other DWI attorneys in the area. In order to secure a certification, an attorney must demonstrate a specialized level of knowledge and expertise in DWI matters.
Doug Murphy has above and beyond certifications, accreditations, and commitment to DWI defense.
3. How has the attorney handled other cases similar to yours? What were the outcomes of those cases?
Not all DWI cases are the same. You will want to hire an attorney who can adapt and handle the specifics of your particular case. Many attorneys that advertise “DWI defense” services aren't prepared to take cases that are challenging or difficult. Tell the attorney about your case and ask him if he has ever handled another case like it. If he has, ask follow-up questions to learn about how he handled it and how the case was resolved.
Doug Murphy takes all kinds of DWI cases, from the complex to the straight-forward. He is not afraid to handle something new, but considers it an opportunity and will dive into with legal curiosity and tenacity.
4. Does the attorney handle both administrative and criminal DWI matters?
Did you know that your DWI case could actually involve administrative and criminal matters? That's right. If you refuse and/or fail chemical testing (e.g., breathalyzer or blood test) then you will face the automatic suspension of your driver's license. This is an administrative matter that is separate from any criminal DWI charges. It is important to hire an attorney who can help you with all issues related to your DWI arrest.
Doug Murphy will help you with your administrative hearing to retain your driving privileges, and he will do so aggressively and strategically to use it as part of the initial investigative stages of your criminal DWI case.
5. Do you feel that you can trust the attorney?
Experience, accolades, and education are all incredibly important. However, it is also important to consider how you personally feel when speaking with the attorney. Do you trust the person? Do you think he has your best interests at heart? Do you feel comfortable confiding in them? If you don't trust or can't be honest with your attorney, your defense will suffer. You need to choose an attorney that you trust and are comfortable with.
One of the first things Doug Murphy's clients say about his is how comfortable they are with him, his integrity and his sincerity.
Finding the Best Houston DWI Defense Attorney
Finding Doug Murphy isn't really like finding a needle in a haystack. It's more like finding a thread of gold in a haystack. His experience, insight, and reputation will help you to protect your future. He understands that getting a DWI can be incredibly scary. He is here to help you navigate through this difficult time and advocate on your behalf. If you want to increase the chances of winning your Houston DWI case, contact Doug Murphy Law Firm, P.C. for help today.